Natural disasters in recent years are becoming more and more unpredictable and their severity has always changed per disaster. Many are left devastated in more ways than one, and some even find it difficult to survive due to the fact that these disasters may have wiped out their resources and possessions.
However, man has always been resilient and given the possibility that disaster can strike at any moment, he can be prepared for all eventualities by preparing a survival kit which is easily accessible once disaster strikes.
However, for those who do not have the time to make their own specialized survival kits, there are survival kits available on the market that promise to help you survive dire times. Unfortunately, it might be tricky to pick one from the vast array of survival kits available for your choice.
You have to consider if it has everything a family would need in case of a disaster and if the items are made of top-notch quality.
This site aims to help you narrow down the selection of survival kits you can buy for your family and teach you how to select or customize your own survival kit.
How to choose a good survival kit
Not every natural or artificial disaster have the same impact, but it is crucial that the survival kit you make takes into consideration several key aspects that must not be forgotten. Missing one item in the survival kit may be detrimental to your survival and of your family’s. Here are some points that would help you choose a good survival kit.
- Prepackaged or customized—Do you want to just purchase a pre-organized survival kit or make your own? If you do purchase a pre-organized or pre-packaged survival kit, check its content and modify it when necessary.
- Number of family members in the home—How many children and how many adults reside in your home?
- Health considerations—Are your family members experiencing health problems?
- Days it will cover—Some survival kits can last for 24 hours, 48 hours, or even a week.
- Disaster/emergency covered—Purchase disaster-proof equipment that can work in any disaster.
- Type of kit—Will you be using your kit for the home? While in the car? Depending on where you will be using your survival kit, you may need to change the contents.
What should be in your survival kit
When it comes to making or customizing a survival kit for you and your family, you have to be sure that your survival kit has everything. Many experts agree that there isn’t a clear minimum requirement on what should be in a survival kit. However, what exactly should be in your survival kit? Here are some of the basics you have to consider.
- Meals and water—Always include a water purification system or emergency water pouches that are good for the entire family. Foods must also have expiration dates on them and they should be lightweight. Always make sure they are rotated and used before they expires.
- Shelter and safety Equipment—It is important to have warm and dry shelter after any disaster, so make sure you have these for extra support and protection.
- Survival kit—It is always a must to have a survival kit which will help you purify water, cut food and guide you out of your location. Some of the most notable things that should be in your kit are a flashlight, matches and first aid kit.
- Personal hygiene—Include in your kit medication, toilet paper and a change of clothing, but make sure this is all very light.
Survival is an instinct that every living thing has and when the worst happens, you need to make sure you continue to live and fight another day. However, how can you do that if you don’t have the proper gear? Gerber has a solution for you and it is their Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit.
Here are the contents of the Gerber Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit which will make you zombie and survival ready.
- This kit has three types of machetes included: Gator, Gator Pro and the Parang.
- Three knives are also included in the survival kit: The Epic, the LMF II Infantry and the the DMF blades.
- This kit also has a single-hand Camp II Axe which can be used to remove kinds of obstacles.
- For easier storage and transport, this survival kit comes with a roll-up canvas carrying case in order to make it packable and easy to carry.
Some users said that some of the blades in this set are not usable and they are very dull. Another even cited that the handles were very brittle, posing a hazard to users who own one, and Gerber even recalled it.
One also commented that it takes long to unsheathe, which some joke that may be detrimental when it comes to fighting zombies or using the knives in real life. The canvas bag is also not very durable, as one user reported that the bag ripped almost immediately after fixing the pack to hold their blades. Users complain that this is an expensive kit.
The kit is made from quality materials and it was well-thought out. Users have also commented that the blades were very sharp and were able to cut hard-to-cut items. It also has a very good grip and even women can carry this without problems.
Others also said that they were able to attach the knives easily in their gear. The bag that comes with this kit is also very good even if it is a little tricky to learn at first. Users have also said that this is a perfect gift for campers and zombie haters alike.
Do not let the name of this survival kit get you into giggles as this survival kit means business. Whether if you are fighting wild animals or zombies, having this survival kit from Gerber will help you survive another day.
It is important to be prepared for emergencies, especially if these disasters cut off major roads to critical areas like supermarkets, hospitals and other safe locations. Your house should have a life emergency supply kit that will help you and your family survive until the connections are back on.
However, if you are looking for a very inexpensive and yet quality made survival kit, check out the Life Gear Wings of Life Emergency Survival Kit and Yellow Backpack.
Here are the contents of the Life Gear Wings of Life Survival Kit.
- The yellow backpack is made from quality and water-resistant fabric, and it has multiple storage pockets and sleeves for various content.
- This kit also has food and water approved by the US Coast Guard for survival kits, good for 3 days. Each item has a five-year shelf life.
- It also comes with a multi-function tool with a knife attached, a first aid kit, thermal blanket, poncho, personal hygiene kit, pen and paper.
- This bag also has a signaling whistle and mirror, compass, magnifying glass, leather/cloth gloves, red emergency flasher, respirator mask and waterproof document bag.
- This bag is also easy to carry by children.
Users have said that while the concept and the idea is good, they said that the kit is not too reliable given its quality and modifying ability. Even the items are not made of high quality. It is also recommended by some users to modify the contents of this pack because it is very short on critical items.
Users who were satisfied with this survival kit said that they loved the product when they received it. The design is also very unique and they did not have a problem with the design of the bag itself. Some customers also said that this bag is ergonomically designed for children. Users have also said that they liked the comprehensive variety of the contents of this survival kit and how organized it is.
Cheap doesn’t necessarily mean the item you purchase is not of high quality. This very unique and affordable survival kit will help you and your family survive for three days. and its bright color makes it easy to spot under low visibility conditions.
What if you are travelling with your loved one, which survival kit should you buy? Luckily, there is a solution to your problem and it is the Urban Survival Bug Out Bag by Emergency Zone good for 4 people.
What is in this bug out bag good for four from Emergency Zone?
- This kit comes with two backpacks, each with 5 zip lock bags for other items and a waterproof document container for critical items.
- Each backpack also has 2 reflective sleeping bags, 2 adult ponchos, 2-person tube tents and 2 pairs of hand warmers.
- When it comes to food, each bag contains US Coast Guard approved 2-3,600 calorie bars good and 12 pcs. of 4.2 oz. water pouches.
- This pack also has 5 pcs. 1L water purification powder and folding 1L water container for purifying purposes, plus purifying guide.
- In order to remain updated despite electricity interruptions, users will have a dynamo AM/FM radio/flashlight/mobile phone charger and 2 pieces of light sticks in each pack.
- Personal hygiene kits good for four are also included such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, comb, razor, shampoo, soap, feminine pad, washcloth, toilet paper and a sewing kit.
- Both bags also have a 61 piece first aid kit filled with the necessary first-aid items.
- Aside from the critical items, the kits also have 10 yards of duct tape, 5 in 1 survival whistle, 50 ft. rope, work gloves, multi tool knife, playing cards, can opener, pencil and a 48-page guide for emergency preparedness.
Some users have commented that they were disappointed with the contents of this kit and the quality of the bag. It was also not very durable or good for rugged situations such as emergencies. The contents of the bag are also frowned upon by users since it felt very cheap and they replaced the contents with higher quality items.
For other users, this is the perfect bug-out for the family since it has everything they need with less effort to pack it all together. It is also very discreet and it doesn’t blatantly say it is an emergency bag. The items in the bag are also arranged neatly and organized in a way that it will be easy to get items inside.
With this Emergency Zone Urban Survival Bug Out Bag, you can cater to you and your family’s needs while in a disaster situation without having to compromise things from your survival kit since this kit will has stock for your family too.
Is there an available survival kit that people can put in the car so they are ready for any disaster? Luckily, Prepper’s Favorite has an answer to that with their Complete Get Home Bag with 65 Piece First Aid Kit good for a 72-hour disaster.
Here is what you can get with your own Prepper’s Favorite Complete Get Home Bag:
- This bag is military-grade quality as it is made from rugged tactical polyester so it can handle rough situations.
- It comes with a water filtration straw and two sizes of water bags which will filter your water as you drink directly from various water sources, stopping odors, odd tastes and bacteria.
- It also comes with an Ultra Lite Fire Starting Kit which includes a micro-spark wheel, waterproof matches, wipes, quick fire starting tabs and a waterproof case.
- Food is also included in this kit with 3,600 calorie non-thirst provoking lemon cookie bars which have a five-year shelf life, and are filled with vitamins and minerals. These food packs are Kosher certified, exceeding regular standards from the US Coast Guard and SOLAS.
- This survival kit also has an extensive 65-piece emergency first aid kit that is in a tough carrying case and includes a guide with first-aid instructions. The kit also includes ointment, lip balm and moleskin for other problems you may face.
Considering that this item is quite new, there is not much problem with this survival kit. However, one did report that they received a broken bag as the strap was broken upon receiving it. One also noted that they didn’t have much extra room for anything they might want to add.
The bag is very durable, good for rugged use and it is also very discreet. Users say that this kit is very compact and has everything they need. All of the items in this pack are of high-quality material and everything is packed for easy use. They also commend that this bag has its own fire starter kit.
Disasters can happen at any time and if you are in the car, you need to be ready for these eventualities. Get yourself a Prepper’s Favorite Complete Get Home Bag with 65 Piece First Aid Kit and put it in your car, truck or any transportation so when disaster happens, you can immediately spring into action.
If you are not close to areas where you can get firewood, or in open areas where you can make an open fire, or are not a good cook, what should you do in these times? You can make a meal with just water without worries with the Mountain House Just in Case 72 Hour Kit.
Learn more about this 72-hour food kit in the definition below.
- Every Mountain House food pack has a long shelf life of 12 years from its manufacturing date printed on the pouch.
- To prepare the pouch meals, you only needs to add hot water and after a few minutes, it can be eaten.
- The breakfast kit includes 1 granola with milk and blueberries and 2 scrambled eggs with bacon.
- The lunch or dinner entrees include 2 beef stroganoff with noodles, 2 chicken teriyaki and rice, 1 chicken with rice and 1 primavera pasta.
Users complain that the shelf life of this pouch is not as described in the advertisements. Some users also complained that it will be difficult to eat this if there’s no hot water or you cannot heat water easily.
Others also noted that it does have a low calorie count per serving. There were also a few who said that these meals have high sodium content. There were also those who commented that the price for this kit is too expensive.
Satisfied users said that the individual meal packets in the kits are very light and easy to pack, allowing them to pack it even for their car. Each kit is also enough for three days, allowing them to survive in times of crisis or even on trips. Some users who have tasted the pouch meals said that the taste is actually quite good, especially the dinner meals.
The meals were very easy to prepare as they only needed to put water and wait for them to be ready for eating. Many agree that the price of this food kit is worth it because it is perfect for emergencies, camping trips and quick meals.
Having a Mountain House Just in Case 72 Hour Kit in your home will help you stay full of energy without having to worry about your food being stale or difficult to cook due to the lack of electricity.